Preparation Program Overview: Here is a brief overview of the process of preparation for first Reconciliation and Eucharist:
1. Sunday Mass: weekly participation at Sunday Mass is expected and of grave importance given that this is the celebration the children are preparing for and will be focusing on during their catechetical sessions.
2. Year 1—1st Grade: preparation for Reconciliation and Eucharist is a 2-year process that begins with participation in Generations of Faith (the parish faith formation program) in 1st Grade--both the festivals and the home component. Children who do not complete this first year of preparation in 1st grade can either complete it in 2nd grade (and celebrate the sacraments in 3rd grade) or request the make up material packet. This packet must be completed prior to fall registration in order to enroll in the sacramental preparation program.
3. Year 2—2nd Grade: participation in Generations of Faith continues during this second year of preparation. In addition, candidates participate in four Sunday morning sessions preparing for Reconciliation (which is celebrated during Advent) and four sessions of preparation for Eucharist (which is celebrated during the Easter season).
4. Prayers: children entering their second year of preparation are expected to be able to make the sign of the cross and recite the Lord’s prayer. During preparation for Reconciliation, children will learn the prayer of contrition. Parents whose children have mastered these prayers should proceed to teach them the Hail Mary and Glory be.
5. Absences & Make up Material: candidates who miss either a Generations of Faith festival or a sacramental preparation session will be mailed make up material to complete at home and return to the parish office.